- Even though strikeouts were not his bread and butter, Maddux had more K’s (181) in 1995 than hits and walks combined en route to his fourth consecutive Cy Young.
- Mad Dog didn’t make it past the 4th inning in 2 of his first 5 starts as a Brave in 1993. He pitched at least 5 innings in every start that followed through Sept. 10, ’95, when he was lifted early due to a minor injury.
- Glavine averaged 3.1 BB/9 IP over his career, contributing to a WHIP a little higher than most HOF pitchers. But in his second season, a 23-year-old Glavine walked only 40 in 186 innings, good for a 1.140 WHIP — second only to his 1.097 WHIP in ’91.
- Tommy G. and Ron Gant were nearly traded to Boston in the late 1980s for Mike Greenwell. The deal was nixed when Bobby refused to include Kent Mercker.
- You know he was smart. But did you know Glavine had been accepted to Harvard after high school. He chose the Braves over the Crimson — not to mention the L.A. Kings.
- Add three more innings over two seasons and Maddux would have 20 seasons of 200 or more IP
- From July 31, 1993, through August 4, 1995, Mad Dog had 56 quality starts in 57 games pitched.
- Maddux and Glavine weren’t taken until the second round of the 1984 draft, Glav was selected 16 picks after Mad Dog. The Braves took Drew Denson in the first round that year; the Cubs, Drew Hall. Also chosen ahead of the HOF’ers: Shawn Abner, Cory Snyder, Alan Cockrell, Oddibe McDowell, Pete Smith, Terry Mulholland, Scott Bankhead and Mike Dunne.
- In May 2001, a 35-year-old Maddux became the first pitcher since 1919 to record two 1-0 complete game shutouts in the same month.
- In a game that lasted 2:07, Mad Dog threw just 76 pitches in a complete game victory over the Cubs.
- Glavine completed three of his first four World Series starts. In 58.1 career Fall Classic innings, he allowed just 33 hits.
- Right-handed batters had a .697 OPS vs. Glavine; lefties, .696.
- Maddux had a .0936 WHIP in his 355 wins.
- Mad Dog at Fulco: 38-15-2.33 ERA, 0.949 WHIP; at Turner Field: 72-31-2.68, 1.083 WHIP.